For marketers across many industries, analyzing demographics has been, and continues to be, a means of creating an effective ad campaign. However, with advancements in technology that have spawned the Internet, smartphones and social media, marketers have been forced to change the way they conduct campaigns. The proliferation of digital media, in particular, has completely changed the media landscape in a relatively short amount of time.
The objectives of this white paper are to:
- Discuss the need for accurate targeting
- Identify the approaches marketers have taken to identify their targets
- Provide specific examples of how demographics are not an effective means of predicting buyer behavior and explain why
- Discuss how competitive vehicle segments provide effective targeting
- Examine the significant differences in consumer media selection by choice of targeting method
- Provide a primer for what future targeting might entail
Demographics, more so than many other tools, has proven to be a much less effective tool in the automotive space, particularly with regard to new-vehicle buyers.